If you’re like me, you went outside to greet your boat for the summer season with high hopes and happy expectations You are going to have great times on the lake this year! But why, why, WHY, does your boat cover always look so sad and droopy after a long winter’s rest?
Elements of wind, rain, sleet and sun can be very hard on a boat cover, stripping off snaps, shrinking and tearing fabric, and corroding metal. So if your canvas, snap-on cover isn’t living up to your expectations, or is a hassle to take on and off, perhaps you don’t have the right tools for the job.
As my grandpa always told me, “Use the right tool for the job, and that will make all the difference.” Nowhere have I found this more true than when attaching and removing the canvas top from my boat. (Perhaps with the sole exception of hanging curtain rods, but that’s a story for another day).
Consider these ingenious tools from SavvyBoater.com to take the frustration, inefficiency, and limp results out of covering your boat:
Top-Snapper Snap Tool: Top-Snapper is the only canvas snap tool that works on either inside or outside snaps and features:
- Easily snap and unsnap boat canvas
- Align and fasten inside and outside snaps
- Dual stainless steel blades
- Ideal for unsnapping snaps without damaging the canvas
- Easy-to-grip rubberized handle
- Works on corroded snaps and shrunken canvas
- Lifetime warranty
Snap Setter Locking Plier Snap Tool: The Snap Setter Tool is ideal for both the small shop or do-it-yourself canvas installer and features:
- Heavy-duty plier with welded snap dies
- Locking plier design provides greater leverage than die-and-peg snap tools
- Quickly and easily install the cap side of the snap
- Works great in combination with the Canvas Care Kit
DeckMate 6-in-1 Stainless Deck Key Tool: The DeckMate deck key combines six essential boating tools in one handy package and features:
- Six essential tools in one package
- Accommodates both right and left-handed users
- One end includes two universal deck keys, a boat shackle key, flat head screwdriver and ¼” hex driver
- The other end includes a zipper/toggle puller and bottle opener
- Lifetime warranty
Pocket Size Canvas Snap Repair Kit: With the Canvas Snap Kit you can easily repair canvas boat snaps yourself. The kit features:
- 10 complete replacement snaps
- Punch & anvil tool for setting snaps
- Snap lube for easy snapping
- Convenient pocket-sized case with lanyard
- Plastic case will float, even when full of snaps
See more “right tools for the job” to help you with your canvas cover, at this link from SavvyBoater.com.