There we were, happily puttering around the lake, taking in the sights, enjoying the fresh air and relaxing in each other’s good company. My sister, Raine, and I took her aluminum boat, with its sweet little outboard motor, for a cruise on Montana’s Placid Lake last Fall – just for the fun of it. We packed a little picnic, tossed in a bunch of cushions and towels, and headed into the calm blue waters. It was perfect.
Except for one thing. My poor sister was practically sitting on top of the motor. Starting the motor is no problem for Raine, and steering the boat is easy enough. But sitting that close to the motor is smelly, noisy and uncomfortable. I, meanwhile, got to relax in the front of the boat on a foot-high pile of cushions, enjoying the view and sipping a mimosa.
Good thing my sister’s birthday is coming up. What she really needs is a HelmsMate Trolling Motor Extension Handle. With one of these ingenious trolling motor extensions, you can position yourself in your boat more comfortably, and still maintain full steering and throttle control, as well as clear access to your kill switch.
When you’re fishing, the HelmsMate Trolling Motor Extension Handle not only positions you more comfortably in your boat, it also gives you better trim capabilities, so you can maneuver as strategically as the fish you’re angling for.
The trolling motor extension handle also gives you easier access to gear and supplies (read: ham sandwich) that you have balanced toward the middle or front of the boat.
Lengths of the trolling motor extensions range from 18” to 51” and models are available in fixed or adjustable lengths. There is also a model with a Universal U-Joint that offers easy push/pull steering for offset seating.
1. HelmsMate T: Fixed 18” handle length gives you extra reach
2. HelmsMate TE: Extendable length of 18”-24” gives you a true, direct-steer feel and lets you customize its length for a perfect fit
3. HelmsMate Basic: Fixed 30” handle length gives you extra reach
4. HelmsMate Straight: Extendable length of 36”-50” gives you a true, direct-steer feel and lets you customize its length for a perfect fit
5. HelmsMate U-Joint: Extendable length with U-Joint, adjustable from 37″ to 51″ with a jointed extension handle and an all-metal joint. Push and pull steering and easy twist throttle control. Lockout sleeves are included for converting to a straight handle.
The HelmsMate Trolling Motor Extension Handle lets you enjoy improved comfort and boat trim with full steering and throttle control without having to sit next to the motor.
One of my favorite things about shopping at SavvyBoater.com is they give me free shipping. The HelmsMate Trolling Motor Extension Handle is in stock and will ship in one-two days. It is made in the USA and comes with a lifetime warranty. I like it.